How can an average student crack the GATE exam?
Are you an average student who wants to crack the GATE exam? Truly, you can. This will take a great deal of diligent work and additional push to crack GATE. Of Course, it’s not that easy to crack it but it doesn’t mean that you can’t. GATE preparation is not going to happen in a day or a month or a quarter. It’ll take a year or less for some students. Now, the biggest question that arises in your mind is:
Well, it’s difficult to advise the correct time to begin the preparation, however, taking an average student, the fifth Semester is a perfect time to begin planning for the GATE exam. By the end of your fifth Semester, most of the important subjects of GATE syllabus haven been covered in your college. In this way, it’s optimal time to tie up your safety belt and prepare for departure. Since you have a busy timetable during the fifth semester, you need to set off for college lectures, labs, and all the regular college stuff. So, taking out 2 hours from your busy timetable and putting them into GATE preparation is good enough for starting your GATE preparation during initial days.
- Examine the GATE syllabus
- Write the topics in descending order of weightage (marks) from the GATE exam point of view. Paste it on the wall which is near to your bed.
- Make a table of important and unimportant topics
- Download Previous 10-year papers
- Get an overview of the previous year papers and check how many questions are asked? , What is the exam pattern? , What are the vital topics that are repeated every year?
- Make a separate notebook for each subject which will really help you in revision during the last months.
- Begin with the most important subject that you’ve effectively completed in your past semesters. Finish it within a month.
- Choose the next topic same as above (which you’ve already studied) from the descending order weightage list that you’ve posted on the wall.
- Study the topics on the weekdays and do revise them on weekends. Revision is very important.
- The middle stage should be completed by the end of your sixth semester.
- Revise, Revise, Revise. GATE is not like the semester exam that you can pass with one night’s study. The more you revise, the better memory retention you’ll have. This will help you to answer GATE questions quickly during an exam.
- Now you need to complete the remaining subjects/topics of the final semester.
- Begin giving Mock Tests. The more often you’ll give mock tests, the better it’ll be for you.
- Ask your professor or coaching institute teacher about all of your problems/queries.
- Start giving Mock Tests as soon as you can. You’ll become more aware of your strengths and shortcomings. So, you’ll get to know which topic you need to concentrate more on.
- The final exam will be conducted Online. So giving Online Test Series will help you in getting familiar with the real exam like environment.
- Don’t try to introduce a new topic during this time. You need to realize that this is the most crucial time that you’ll ever have. Make yourself, even more, better in the subjects which you’ve already completed.